151 West Randolph Street
Facts, Figures and Architectural Highlights
| On Stage |
General Information |
Theatre History |
Contact Us |
- The aesthetic style is based on the French palaces of Fontainebleau and Versailles.
- To complete the 1999 restoration and renovation, approximately 150 workers put in 200,000 person-hours on the project.
- 600 gallons of paint and 3,900 square feet of gold leaf were used in the restoration of the theatre. 48,600 square feet of carpeting was installed.
- The original decorative surfaces in the auditorium were cleaned, painted, re-leafed with gold and re-glazed to unify the colors. Castings were created of existing moulds to recreate a 30' section of the mezzanine railing which was cut away when the theatre housed a Cinerama 35mm projection booth.
- Both original and new "period" lighting fixtures are used throughout the theatre. The two large chandeliers in the grand lobby and the four chandeliers in the auditorium illuminated the venue at its 1926 opening.
- Seating on the orchestra level of the theatre was reconfigured for better sightlines and comfort, eliminating three aisles to create a large center seating section.
- A new vertical marquee was installed that towers 8 stories, or 89 feet, tall.
- The ribbon cutting ceremony and public open house was held November 7, 1999.
- The inaugural production in the newly restored theatre was Elton John and Tim Rice's AIDA, a Disney Production. First public performance was November 12, 1999, official opening performance on December 9, 1999.
© 2000 Cadillac Palace